Click on a name below to learn more about the attorneys at Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC.
Sean P. Schmergel | e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Sean P. Schmergel is a native of New York and has resided in Northern Virginia for nearly three decades. He currently lives with his family in Arlington, Virginia. Mr. Schmergel provides exceptional counsel in all areas of family law in Virginia and the District of Columbia, including the Counties of Fairfax, Arlington, Prince William, Loudoun and the City of Alexandria. Mr. Schmergel has been named a family law “Super Lawyer” in Virginia and the District of Columbia, and was previously named a family law "Rising Star." He was President of the Alexandria Bar Association in 2014, and he has presented continuing legal education courses on family law topics ranging from divorce to child support modification. He is the current Chair of the Virginia State Bar's 4th District, Section II Disciplinary Committee.
In 2004 Mr. Schmergel co-founded Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC in Alexandria, Virginia with an aim towards helping individuals with their complex--and often emotional--family law cases. Mr. Schmergel's practice is limited to divorce and family law, including equitable distribution of property and retirements, domestic violence protective orders, marital agreements, alimony and child support matters.
As a father of two and a certified guardian ad litem for children in Virginia, Mr. Schmergel is most passionate about resolving custody disputes. He believes that to obtain the best outcome parents must have a strong and knowledgeable advocate to prepare a case for court, even if the matter ultimately settles before trial. Mr. Schmergel has the qualifications and the experience to resolve a custody case in the child's best interest, whether by agreement or in court.
From divorce, to support, to complex property division, Mr. Schmergel effectively guides his clients through these difficult issues.
- 2001, Virginia
- 2004, District of Columbia
- 2005, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- George Mason University, B.A., Government/Politics, 1996
- Alexandria Bar Association (Immediate Past President, 2014-2015; President, 2013-2014; President-Elect, 2012-2013; Secretary, 2010-2012; Director-at-Large, 2008-2010)
- Virginia State Bar (Member, Family Law Section; Chair, District 4-II Disciplinary Committee)
- District of Columbia Bar (Member, Family Law Section)
- Manhasset, New York, August 21, 1974
Dennis M. Mersberger | e-mail: email@example.com
Dennis M. Mersberger is co-founder of Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC. He hails from the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania area, but has made Alexandria, Virginia his home. Mr. Mersberger defends both adult and juvenile criminal and traffic matters before all state and federal courts in Virginia. He is a zealous advocate and will fiercely defend his clients' position, whether in trial before a judge or jury, or in plea negotiations with the prosecution.
Prior to founding Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC Mr. Mersberger worked with some of the best criminal defense lawyers in Northern Virginia, honing his practice prior to opening his own firm with Mr. Schmergel. While a student at George Mason University School of Law, Mr. Mersberger participated in a legal clinic with the courts of Fairfax County, Virginia and in particular interned with the judges of the Fairfax County Juvenile & Domestic Relations District Court on cases ranging from juvenile delinquency to domestic assault.
Mr. Mersberger is a member of the Criminal Law section of the Virginia State Bar and he serves as Committee Chair to the Alexandria Bar Association's Lawyer Referral Service.
- 2003, Virginia; 2005, U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Virginia
- George Mason University School of Law, J.D.
- University of Nottingham Trent, Nottingham, England
- Lock Haven University of Pennsylvania, B.A., English Literature, 1996
- Virginia State Bar (Member, Criminal Law Section)
- Alexandria Bar Association
- Bristol, Pennsylvania, November 16, 1973