Writing Custom Prenuptial And Postnuptial Agreements
A prenuptial agreement defines the present state of assets and property ownership between marrying individuals and describes how they will get split if a divorce occurs. At Schmergel & Mersberger, PLC, we recognize the importance of this type of contract as a statement of each person’s rights regarding their property.
Reasons to consider getting a prenuptial agreement are as diverse as the couples who seek to establish them. Because of this, a document personally crafted by an experienced attorney is the best route to take for a legal agreement that will stand in court. Prenuptials can define:
- An asset division arrangement that changes over the years of marriage
- Current assets and debts of each person and how they will be divided
- Inheritance rights of children from previous marriages
Our firm has worked with high-asset couples in all areas of family law for 15 years. Our knowledge and experience give you an edge in the custom construction of your document.
Postnuptial agreements are an alternative for couples that did not form a contract before marriage. In addition to defining property ownership and acceptable asset division, they are also useful in a variety of instances including:
- Establishing terms of divorce that recognize inheritance rights of each spouse’s children
- Protecting a newly-formed business partnership from a possible future divorce
- A requirement of a postnuptial agreement to satisfy a beneficiary arrangement
Many couples find that the agreement they created helped them reduce the amount of time and money spent to divorce.
Find Out More Today
Learn how a nuptial agreement can benefit your situation. Give the Alexandria office of Schmergel & Mersberger a call at 703-763-2645 or contact us online to schedule an initial consultation with an attorney.